" Nelson College was opened in 1856 in temporary facilities in Manuka Street. The college foundation stone was laid in 1859 and Nelson College was
subsequently opened in 1861. An Act was passed in 1882 allowing permission for Nelson College for Girls to be built.
Currently, the Nelson College building is the third to occupy its hill location. A fire in 1904 burned down the college and the 1929 Murchison Earthquake seriously damaged the college's brick building."