1852 Samuel Farr designed the first St. Peter's church, erected in Church Street. The Church Street church proved too small and has since been demolished. St. Peters is the second Anglican church and was built in 1863. John Watson, Akaroa's second magistrate, donated the more central site in Rue Balguerie. Work commenced in 1863 and was completed in 1864. There is a single grave in the churchyard and it has caused some controversy over the years.
Early English Gothic Revival style. Paired lancet windows, entrance tower. St. Peter's is an elegant design with vertical timbering and high Gothic windows. It is sited in a slightly elevated position where the finely proportioned tower creates a focal point in that part of the township. The interior has a fine gallery at the West End.
St. Patrick's was built in 1865. The Lyttelton Times for 21 August 1865 states that the contract to build the new Catholic Church in Akaroa went to John Cullen and in 18 December 1865 it reported the church was finished and would be opening soon. Later, in 1886 the church was lined and the front porch added. The bell tower was built in 1893. The Akaroa Mail of 10 October, 1893 reports, "Some little time ago, Messrs Callaghan and Rodrigues presented the Catholic Church here with a fine new bell and every exertion is now being used to have the bell suspended in a suitable tower."
The church was designed by architects Mountfort and Bury, and built by John Cullen. It is built of totara with black pine framing and principals. The wooden "frill" around the gable may possibly be an addition too; it is the opinion of experts that it is unlike the usual style of Mountfort.